EclipseViewers UK can be reached as follows:
(aka Lionel Moss)
- Ariel, has a very chequered career that includes electronic engineering, chartered accountancy, and teaching in primary & secondary schools and colleges. He presently specialises in providing independent IT strategic consultancy and representation primarily to the financial, healthcare & government communities, with emphasis on standards-related issues in the areas including smart cards, information security, payment systems, electronic commerce and medical informatics.
- His clients have included the European Commision and the European Standards Committee
- He is now also engaged in a number of entrepreneurial activities, including E-commerce publishing of music / character monologues, design of a novel chair for back sufferers, development of retail promotion systems, and the import/export of optical devices.
- Ariel and his wife lesha’avra Adele are based in Oxford, but their children Dalya, Daniel & Joel now live and work in other UK cities - London, Nottingham and Brighton respectively.
- Ariel’s functions within EclipseViewers UK include contracts, general administration and liaison.
- He has travelled to directly witness several previous eclipses – eg for the 30 March 2006 eclipse he travelled with his then 18-year-old son, Joel, together with colleagues Emma Stanfield & Tim Murphy to Side, near Antalya, on Turkey’s Mediterranean coast, and for the upcoming 22 July 2009 eclipse Ariel plans to fly to whatever East Asian or South Pacific location will then have forecasted the best chance of its sky remaining clear throughout the event. Despite his enormous enthusiasm for all things ecliptic, Lionel finally gave up his attempts to lure one particular friend, whose eeyore retorts included -
- "My friends in Cornwall get 100%, we'll get 96% - what's 4% between friends?"
- "Big deal! - Stars at eleven am ? - who needs stars at 11 am? Seen through my eclipse viewer the sky will be black anyway. I need stars as well?"
- "The birds in my garden drive me crazy with their constant chattering, but should I give them the satisfaction of forcing me to go all the way to the West Country or further just to find birds who'll shut up for 2 minutes in their lifetime!"
- Also known as Rad, brings the skills of an unusually varied background to EclipseViewers UK. Apart from gaining her degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Magdelen College, University of Oxford she has spent recent years as a Maths and Philosophy teacher and has dabbled in events organising, acting, music and scientific research which brought her face to face with many sharks. Within EclipseViewers UK her responsibilities include research and marketing.
- Rad first saw a total solar eclipse in Hyderabad, India. Although the event itself is a distant memory she remembers the enormous excitement and curious bird behaviour that surrounded it. This time she hopes to view it safely from Bhutan or North Bengal where she has family, and they’ll be wearing the Mr Motivator Ghana batch of our viewers!
Alex is the technical director for a local radio station and also webmaster for the Oxford based Inner Bookshop. He is now assisting the EclipseViewersUK project again with the updating of its website for the upcoming total solar eclipse.
He wishes that everyone has an great time during the eclipse and is delighted that he’s able to be involved in the promotion of the use of the ‘safety goggles’ (as he charmingly refers to them!) to prevent damaged eyesight to marring the experience for anyone in any way for an occasion that will never be forgotten.